To become a registered nurse in Alaska, students must first complete a nursing diploma, associate degree or a bachelor’s of science degree from a nursing school. Prospective students must take into consideration when selecting their course of studies that most healthcare facilities and employers give preference to applicants that completed at least bachelor’s degree level studies.
After completing their education, prospective nurses are required to pass the NCLEX-RN exam. Nurses that are already licensed in a different state can acquire a license to practice nursing here by endorsement. Alaska is not a nurse compact state.
Renewing a license in the state of Alaska requires a combination of two of the following:
- Continuing Education initiatives totalling 30 hours
- Participation in professional activities totalling 30 hours
- 320 hours of employment
To become a Licensed Practical Nurse in the state of Alaska, one needs to complete an education program in the field of Nursing in a state-approved school. These programs are available in a number of community colleges and technical schools around the state as well as some hospitals and high schools. See below for a detailed list of accredited places. The duration of the program is normally one year.
Passing the NCLEX-PN examination is required to acquire a license to practice in Alaska and licenses expire every even-numbered year and professionals are required to renew their license in order to practice nursing. Renewal requirements are the same as RNs (see above).
Featured Nursing Programs (Sponsored)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
You can advance your career with a degree from Charter College Online. We offer several Associates and Bachelors degrees in the business, health care, accounting and legal fields. Our accelerated programs are designed to help you complete your degree as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We help students get not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Office Administrative Assistant
Board of Nursing Approved Nursing Schools
University of Alaska
Anchorage School of Nursing
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: ASN, BSN, MSN
Accreditation Body: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)