To become a registered nurse in Alaska, students must first complete a nursing diploma, associate degree or a bachelor’s of science degree from a nursing school. Prospective students must take into consideration when selecting their course of studies that most healthcare facilities and employers give preference to applicants that completed at least bachelor’s degree level studies.
After completing their education, prospective nurses are required to pass the NCLEX-RN exam. Nurses that are already licensed in a different state can acquire a license to practice nursing here by endorsement. Alaska is not a nurse compact state.
Renewing a license in the state of Alaska requires a combination of two of the following:
- Continuing Education initiatives totalling 30 hours
- Participation in professional activities totalling 30 hours
- 320 hours of employment
To become a Licensed Practical Nurse in the state of Alaska, one needs to complete an education program in the field of Nursing in a state-approved school. These programs are available in a number of community colleges and technical schools around the state as well as some hospitals and high schools. See below for a detailed list of accredited places. The duration of the program is normally one year.
Passing the NCLEX-PN examination is required to acquire a license to practice in Alaska and licenses expire every even-numbered year and professionals are required to renew their license in order to practice nursing. Renewal requirements are the same as RNs (see above).
Featured Nursing Programs (Sponsored)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Board of Nursing Approved Nursing Schools
University of Alaska
Anchorage School of Nursing
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: ASN, BSN, MSN
Accreditation Body: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)